Friday, November 25, 2005

Is Donation Regulation Constitutional?

After reading an article in the New York Times titled "Questions on the Legality of Campaign Fund-Raising", I was thinking are restrictions to making political donations constitutional? We have many rights as citizens and I don't believe that limits put on making donations to political parties is constitutional. There is so much corruption in our governmental system and I wonder if the limit to donate is really helping. We have found that if the government restricts us for certain activities that we will find a way around it somehow. The cases that have gone before the courts for this issue I find our wasting our tax money and police time to stop this. The Protective State would not get involved in these matters seeing that they are not causing any harm to individuals and the Corrective State would not find any market failures.

I realize that the government is trying to protect the whole of the population by not having the "rich" take control but everyone is saying that everyone else is richer than they are. When it is all said and done I don't think that this is an issue that needs to be controlled as I said if someone wants to do something that has restrictions they will find a way around it. I think that it is when the restrictions are put in place that corruption is more likely to occur. If donations where out in the open we would then be allowed to judge whether the donation was given out of support (tax right off) or if there was a deal made during the donation.

No comments: